www.nfed.co.uk

Connecting the central southern equestrian community since 1999
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:16 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour [ DST ]

Bookmark and Share
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: What height will my NF colt be??
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:51 pm 

I purchased a NF colt from the beaulieu road sales in october, he is now 7 months old and measures up at 13h (and thats with very low withers) his dads 14h and his mum 13.2, many people have said measure them at 2 and add a hand, someone else told me that TBs are 90% of their height at 1, but natives are a lower percentage, even at 90%, that would make him 14.2h and hes not even 1 yet. i would like him to be as big as possible, but dont want a beautifully bred colt that i cant show because i acnt get a LHC without chopping his legs off :) help ???

Post subject: Re: What height will my NF colt be??
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:16 pm 

I wouldn't worry too much - most foals grow very quickly in their first year and then it slows down.

I read somewhere that if you measure from the ground to the point of the elbow at one year old and then double it, that will give you a good idea of the adult height. I tried it out with one of mine - it gave her an adult height of 13.1hh and now she's 13hh and rising 4 so it would seem to be a pretty good rule of thumb, in her case anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:28 pm 

What breeding is he? Some ponies can shoot up as a yearling and 2yo and then fill out. We have found with some of ours that they don't level out properley until they are 7!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:09 pm 

He's new forest, have tried measuring from the middle of the knee to the coronet before and it brings him out at 14.1h, but I then tried it on my leggy 16.1h and it bought her out at the same height, so I'm not overly convinced on that method. Hopefully he'll make 14.2, just guessing from his mum and dad, but his bums higher at the moment so it's hard to judge how much he's growing as it measures at 13.2h, just waiting for his front end to catch up again now :)

Bookmark and Share