www.nfed.co.uk

Connecting the central southern equestrian community since 1999
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:45 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Bookmark and Share
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: 4,000 event cyclists expected in New Forest 13th/14th Ap
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:48 pm 

Article in Daily Echo today regarding Julian Lewis MP and cycling

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/1034153 ... le_events/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:57 pm 

Hopefully you can all see UK Cycling's Facebook page from this link

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:20 am 

BBC News - Organisers baffled by criticism of event

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-22081407

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:05 am 

As seen on UK Cycling's website (10th April 2013)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:33 pm 

Sportive supporters intimate that those against unlicenced mass cycle events are in the MINORITY and they are organising a campaign for people to write to the NPA in support of their form of cycling.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:51 pm 

I really hope that this doesn’t turn into anti cycling post. As I see it, it is not cyclists; purely the numbers expected that is the problem. Like many people with horses, I also enjoy cycling. I live in the forest, am a commoner, drive a 4x4 & have a dog, so public enemy number one if some of the retaliatory comments already posted on the cycling Facebook page are to be believed.

I know it does occasionally happen, but I personally have never experienced a problem with a cyclist whilst out riding & have even got off my horse to mend a puncture for a young lady. On the other hand, I have received some pretty sharp comments from horse riders whilst out cycling, which were definitely uncalled for & didn’t do the horse riding community any favours in the eyes of my friends! So there’s good & bad in all walks of life & not everyone should be tarred with the same brush.

To be honest, I really can’t see it being a cause of animal accidents as the whole forest will grind to a halt & we all know it is speed that is the greatest problem. If a cyclist hits a pony, he/she is not going to come out of it well, which has to be a good incentive to avoid them. There was a bike ride on during last years Ober drift, it was pandemonium but the only casualty I saw was the cyclist that fell off behind my horse as I rode back from Ober pound. I felt far safer where I was, than he looked rolling down the road between the traffic, other bikes & horses!

Cyclists are welcome & can enjoy the forest all year round for free; this should naturally spread the load & keep everyone happy & hopefully healthier. The problem only arises when an arranged event completely takes over the area for a whole weekend, so that the locals & other visitors have difficulty getting around, enjoying the forest or carrying out the normal daily chores.

Despite their claims, I can’t see this being good for local economy. As with Weymouth last year when the Olympics were on, the people that would normally come into the area to spend money will be kept away.

I don’t know what the answer is, unlike the oversized deer population; a cull is out of the question. Maybe we should just concentrate on letting them know that they can ride here at any time without paying £20 & that the "New Forest National Park, combined with wild animals grazing at the roadside and picturesque villages" really is much better enjoyed in small groups.

Anyway, I think we should stick to the numbers issue & not start trading insults, it’s a no win situation. There are a lot more cyclists than horse riders out there & they will be the ones that we will be asking to slow down when driving past us the next day. If they see us as moaning, snooty nimby’s, I don’t think they will be too inclined to do so.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:57 pm 

I totally agree. This issue is all about the numbers coming, and not against cyling itself. There are good and bad in all groups, which gives everyone else in the group a bad name.
What I am having a problem with though is the FB comments. Us locals are getting called all sorts of names, and they need to remember they are coming to our home, with traditions that have gone on for hundreds of years. It doesnt matter if we all have 4x4s, ride horses etc. It is how we choose to live, and when going to some one elses home, you should respect the ways of the area.
I dont like how the event has been promoted either. The forest isnt 20mph speed limits, and the roads are not all quiet and empty. There will be folk trying to go about day to day business, and getting held up by this can be frustrating. (If anyone wants to bring up tractors again, then they normally pull over to let us pass) Also the timing awards as been said before. I was talking to a very friendly cyclist who I met last week who said he didnt take part in these things, as it technically was a race and everyone is trying to win.

I think if everyone on all sides behave themselves then there wont be a problem.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:42 am 

Good reply Steve. These are points I made repeatedly in yesterday's BBC South interview, but which ended up on the modern equivalent of the cutting room floor (I blame the boring Pompey FC story). The size of the event seems to be limited only by the availability of car parking at New Park, with no other consideration. A time trial with 50 riders (on a good day) requires authorisation, but a sportive with thousands doesn't!

One of my bikes was next to the pony throughout the BBC interview. I've cycled the Forest (including some racing) for almost 40 years, and only ridden for the past 15, so the idea that I might be "anti-bike" is a bit wide of the mark. I'm much less scared on a bike than on a horse!

Tony

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:04 am 

I totally agree Steve. The numbers are the main problem (although some of the FB comments have made my blood boil :x ))

We run a family dairy farm and are 5th generation to do so here. (I have come across some very rude farmers - who give the rest of us a bad name). I have horses which I ride and drive in and around the forest. (I have come across some extremely rude and snooty riders - who give the rest of us a bad name). I have a landy which I drive everywhere. (I have come across lots of ignorant drivers - who give the rest of us a bad name). I have 5 lurchers who I walk in the forest daily. (I have come across countless thoughtless and inexperienced dog owners/walkers - who give the rest of us a bad name). My husband is taking part in the sportive. (I have come across a lot of inconsiderate cyclists, both in the forest and on the roads, who couldn't care less who/what is in their way - who give other cyclists a bad name).

Let's not tar everyone with the same brush and start a witch hunt. ;)

xxx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:28 am 

I do agree that there is good and bad BUT I have to say I am not a fan of the cyclist, I would say most of the time I see them they are being inconsiderate to other road users.... You have the families with their young children weaving all over the road and yes it is up to the car driver to avoid them! Very rarely do cyclists signal their intent to turn off, stop or move off, they just do it, without looking and again the motorist has to try and work out what they are going to do next, I have been shouted at etc because I refuse to pander to them, and as for riding two and three abreast with the cars trailing along behind them :x they ride on the pavements all the time where I live and expect you to step aside and so many seem unable to read signs telling them NO CYCLING, yes there must be some careful cyclists out there for which I feel sorry, the forest roads are already so busy with cars that anything other than very careful cycling is quite frankly scarey!! And yes they do slow the traffic down which you would think would make it safer for the livestock except for when a pony moves out infront of a group of cyclists going at speed and pushes them out into the road and frustrated motorists up their speed when they finally get past!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:06 am 

I agree with most of above, have not seen the anti cycling facebook comments, but have looked at and added to a facebook discussion on cycling UK which this board drew attention to. It is clear that some of the sportive cyclist were not happy about the behaviour of some of their colleges in last years event inasmuch as some were racing and other dropping litter. Some were doing their best to promote considerate cycling-one even offering to do a litter picking event.

I have had a negative experience of this event last year when a cyclist behaved in a dangerous way-first time I have had problems but felt the organisers were very dismissive of it.

I do feel the BBC South interviews were confused, the rep from cycling UK talking about new forest ponies etc and the rep from NFEA talking about horse and riders. Indeed bad cycling may well make it difficult, if not impossible for some horse and riders to use some of the minor roads used by this event.

I do feel that cycling UK advice for passing horses is inadequate, as it tends to focus on passing forest ponies, not horses and riders.

It was also confusing to being in the subject of cars colliding with ponies-maybe this was the reporter asking a confused question. There have been reported (one in Forest Journal last year) incidents involving horses/riders and cyclists. There has nationally been some serious issues-a cyclist was killed when a horse backed into him/her on the road-cannot remember the details but involved a fairly famous rider. There was also an incident a ling time back when a cycle race caused a horse to run off-rider fell off and was injured-horse put to sleep-cycle race fined massively-again long way back.

But given according to a FB discussion on cycling UK that some or the cyclist are very clearly looking for cycling on this event to be considerate and not racing, and that cycling UK has very clearly said those breaking the highway code will be banned, maybe they should be given a bit of a chance to show this. Riders may be far better off with an organised event where the cyclists know the consequence of causing problems 'banned from wiggles!' than what seems to be happening on some occasions which is ad hoc 'racing' and[i] if 4,000, 5,000, or even 10,000 descend on the forest what a great chance to help those cyclist who do not understand how to pass a horse/rider or horse/cart understand how to do this safely for all concerned. [/i]And praphs to help horse riders understand cyclist a little better.The NFEA leaflet for cyclist/cars is excellent in this regard as gives more details and explains the consequences of getting it wrong.

Horse riders do not get everything right, last weekend while out with my two hairies witnessed a rider 'trotting' through a spread out large family group of which some of the children were approx 5 and running around-did not look that safe to me.

Having said that (Sadly!) it would seem that nature may well play a hand in this week ends event, current met office forecast s seem to suggest that we have high winds and rain so it may be a very slow 'wiggle' and the main threat to horse riders may be falling branches.

:horse6: :horse8: Colin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:32 am 

may be worth noting the BHS maintain a site for reporting accidents/incidents involving horses in the UK. Note that most on the forest seem to be motering. I suspect its not that complete a list as it relies on people knowing about it but may be worth reporting incidents concerning cyclist,cars, low flying aircraft etc. The link is below, but on the subject of low flying aircraft when I clicked on the site there appears to be a report that is a few 100 miles off the coast of Ireland and England! Somebody has a horse thats a good swimmer!

http://www.horseaccidents.org.uk/About_ ... dents.aspx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:21 pm 

The forest is covered in not very in- keeping orange wiggle signs at the moment with arrows on telling the cyclists the route. I think along Ibsley Common and up by the highcorner would def be a no go zone for cars- very narrow and bendy and no scope for overtaking.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:04 pm 

Wiggle sports report

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/103467 ... nt/?ref=nt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:47 pm 

I do hope everyone (Cyclists and Drivers) take care on that nasty narrow double bend on Arnewood Bridge Road (B3055) near Linnies Lane, The cyclists will be turning left out of Wooton Lane Tiptoe on to this road and heading towards Sway. It's a perilous bend at the best of times.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:06 am 

Just seen five large orange signs alopng the Wiggle route attached to road signs, presumably erected by the event organiser?,

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:58 pm 

I wouldnt have thought so. Its not at all relevant to the 'event' an is just more roadside cluttering. I found one of the arrow signs on the floor this morning. I put it back on the post, but hope i've put the arrow in the right direction.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:47 pm 

The sportive tomorrow (14/04) has been postponed until June due to the weather. Signs are being left out until tomorrow evening so cyclists wishing to ride the course off their own bat may do so.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:38 pm 

Having just read the local BBC news on the laptop, I am ashamed and embarrassed to be a forest local.

It seems protestors had tampered with over 1000 signs for the sportive, which were removed or the direction changed, groups of people yelling threatening abuse at cyclists (it was reported there were children present in these groups - classy), groups of people blocking the roads, and driving slowly in convoy - just to cause problems. The thing which sickens me the most is that someone had placed tacks on the roads around Boldre area.

Well - that has just proven to anyone visiting the area that we are gentle, loving country folk.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:14 am 

Looked at the UK cycling facebook page a few times, the tacks are mentioned and somebody driving in a land rover badly but not as much as the poster above. Got say if its correct, then it does nothing to get genuine concerns about this event across.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:19 am 

Quite agree, tampering with signs and putting tacks on the road is just not on and downright dangerous.Mr Barden says that the police have the registration number of people pulling down signs so let's wait and see. Does anyone know the poor cyclist who was injured and what time/day it happened?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:06 am 

I do hope all of the above is not correct, it is not the way to protest. I have been looking on one of the cyclists forums and one man said there had been no real problems, the thing that most shocked me on that forum was the hatred and language aimed at us, really unpleasant :(

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:02 am 

Got to say having looked again at the cycling UK facebook page, there many angry cyclist-with cycling UK whos rep seems to be Mr Barden! Seems having cancelled the event seems they dont get a refund-some were talking about 'unfair contracts'! On the Echo site there is an interview with him pointing at the vandalism, some of the video footage that runs at the same times does infact show cyclist holding up cars on a single track road-although they were not racing-looked fairly exhausted. There is also a statement regarding cars swerving at cyclist, the accompanying video is again confusing in that it shows a stationary car, some cyclists going round it and a Belted Galloway-the car may well have stopped for the cow/steer in which case the cyclist were a little too close to it had it have decided to do what they do on occasions which is change direction. Its not clear whos footage this is, so maybe just confused reporting.

Last year when this event was on, was out with my horses in ashley walk area, could see Roger Penny Way-there were cars/lorries/caravans in slow moving groups-thats because they could not get round the rows of cyclist

Also in the report Mr Barden says he could have had 10,000 cyclists at the event but kept the numbers down due to local concerns, which is a little odd as it was only recently that he seemed to acknowledge there were local concerns.

It does seem that some stupid things have happened and need to stop, Not that clear that all that has been reported is accurate.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:41 am 

I guess it is down to the editing,although I did hear Mr Barden say on the video that 1,000 signs were tampered with. Perhaps I being naive but to destroy 1,000 signs would have taken a concerted effort by quite a few people. It also begs the question as to how many signs were erected in first place?Sounds like it was pretty muddy and miserable at New Park with cars having to be towed out. According to FB the event would have run on Sunday 14th but the participants had nowhere to park.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:33 pm 

Horrified to read of tacks being thrown onto the roads, these could have caused serious injuries or worse to other road users, and hideous injuries to stock. Not anti cyclist at all but anti these type of large scale events. Good report Steve.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:57 pm 

The postponed event has been rescheduled for the Spring Bank Holiday weekend: Saturday 1st June.

After last Saturday's damage to the Car Park Field at New Park events cannot currently be run there, but hopefully the improved weather will hold and it can be sorted out in the coming week.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:34 pm 

I hope the ground is ok for the NF Spring fair on the 5th May. Only a couple of weeks or so to sort it.
As for the tacks being thrown down- Did whoever do that actually think through the consequences? The animals could have been injured- puncture wounds on the foot could be really serious. And someone could have been killed.
I was driving out on the forest on the saturday, and didnt really experience any problems. I was pre warned about traffic queuing from New Park back to Lyndhurst, and so went a different route, and my return journey there was the usual traffic in lyndhurst- but no different to a normal busy day there.
Quite a few cyclists around Brock, as would be expected, but all I saw were behaving, as were all the cars.
Having said that, I dont think the forest should be used for anyones commercial gain in that way. The forest and its roads cant cope with the volumes of cyclists/cars/animals all using it at the same time. Its not anti cyclist. Its anti cyclist event for commercial gain in a place which cant really sustain volumes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:48 am 

Does anyone know if the missing injured cyclist has been tracked down yet? I do hope they are OK.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:23 am 

The NFEA has received reports of serious incidents involving ridden and depastured stock during Saturday's rescheduled Wiggle sportive from New Park, including a pony hit by a cyclist at speed near Wootton Bridge. If anyone has further details of such incidents we'd be very grateful to receive them so that they can be passed on to those who have any control over these mass commercial events.

Tony

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:44 pm 

When we were out riding on Saturday we chatted up an AA steward and asked him to mention in the de-brief with cycling events uk that they ask all cyclists involved (going forward) to call a [loud] warning when approaching horseriders from behind so we can a) not be frightened out of our skins (or the horses out of theirs) when you suddenly have a speeding bike whizz past you and b) can move out of the way if we're riding double or dawdling on a lazy saturday morning ride. Obviously there is no guarantee that this will be either implemented or actioned by the cyclists but at least we have tried.

The forest is there for all to share but I have to admit that the attitudes of some of the cyclists out at the weekend were not in the spirit of all getting along and some barely left inches between themselves and the very large, powerful and metal clad rear legs of my horse who is thankfully not inclined to kicking. The majority were silent but at least they passed with plenty of room - they are just so stealthy!

There were a few who called a warning in good time but they were definitely the minority.

Bookmark and Share